Charities are increasingly keen to use data visualisation to communicate quickly and effectively with different audiences.
But data visualisation can vary from the simple to the complex and from the good to the ugly!
This training goes back to basics, looking at the principles of good data visualisation and taking you through some useful ways of structuring your approach.
You'll consider a range of chart and visualisation types and we'll demo free and low cost tools available for small charities to get started on their data visualisation journey. You will even have a chance to have a go with one yourself.
What you will learn:
- Examples of good and less successful data visualisation
- Defining your visualisation concept – goals and audience
- Choosing the best charts for your dataset
- Free and low cost digital tools to create your visualisations
- Accessibility considerations
Who attends this session:
Anyone who works for a small charity or community group in London that wants to learn how to use visualisations to tell the stories of their data.
This is an introductory course.
However, if you are just starting out with creating graphics and charts to share the story of your work you may wish to attend our entry-level session, Data Visualisation and Infographics for Beginners.
You will find this useful if you are:
- Baffled by charts and when best to use the different types available
- Keen to try out an easy, free tool to create charts
- Using Excel but wondering if there's something simpler that creates nice looking designs
What happens next
Attendees are encouraged to attend follow up skills based training in the Datawise London learner pathway or access one-to-one support.
Current live online training
Look for and book your ticket for live training on Superhighways' Eventbrite page.
Delivering this training to the people you work with
Do small charities or community organisations you support need help with digital data collection?
If so, please get in touch with us to talk though your needs and ideas using the contact form below.