Data isn’t just about numbers and statistics, or even stories; it’s about asking the right questions of the valuable information at your disposal, so that you can better meet the needs of the people you support.
Small charities and community organisations are capturing useful data all the time.
So are local authorities, national government and bigger charities.
Both our own data and that of others can help us understand why our interventions work, ensure policy makers listen and prevent us being overlooked for vital funds.
Ultimately it helps us make the right decisions, spotting problems before they happen and identifying solutions in ever changing political and socio-economic conditions.
But where do you start?
- What exactly do we mean by ‘data’?
- Are we collecting the right data?
- Where do we go to find relevant data from others?
- And are we presenting data to engage our stakeholders – for internal decision making or external influencing?
What you will learn:
This short course cover some of the core principles which should be used when working with data at all stages of your data journey:
- Data collection – the what and the why
- Data analysis – asking questions of our internal and external data
- Data presentation – some ideas for telling stories and engaging others
- Free or low costs digital tools that can help
We'll encourage you to become more curious, asking questions of your own and others’ data to explore hunches you may have, ultimately improving your services and influencing change.
Who attends this session:
Anyone from a small charity or community organisation in London that is responsible for making decisions about what you do and how you deliver your activities based on the information you have. This is for beginners.
What happens next
Attendees are encouraged to attend follow up skills based training in the Datawise London learner pathway or access one-to-one support.
Current live online training
Look for and book your ticket for live training on Superhighways' Eventbrite page.
Delivering this training to the people you work with
Do small charities or community organisations you support need help with digital data collection?
If so, please get in touch with us to talk though your needs and ideas using the contact form below.